Deciding what to pack for your stay in treatment can be stressful. If you know what you do and do not need when you are packing for treatment, the process to prepare for your stay will be more manageable. Treatment facilities may differ when it comes to certain items you should not pack. Try to get a list from the facility of things to pack and things you should leave at home. If a list is not available, follow the general guidelines of what usually is and is not acceptable.
What you need:
- A list of personal contacts with phone numbers. Some facilities do not allow cell phones or allow contact with anyone for the first several days of treatment. Bring a list of your contacts and phone numbers so you can keep in touch with your loved ones or employer. Find out if you are allowed to use a phone at the facility when permitted and if you will need a calling card.
- Clothes. Bring several days’ worth of comfortable clothes. Check with the facility if laundry detergent is available. If laundry detergent is not available, remember to bring your own.
- Identification, debit/credit card, and cash. Identification is important, so bring a form of ID with you. The facility may have vending machines so keep a small amount of cash with you in case you ever need it.
- Toiletries. Bring a toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, hair brush, shampoo, conditioner, and hair dryer if you use one. Do not bring mouthwash or anything else containing alcohol. Razors might be allowed, but might be secured by the facility when not in use.
- Medication. If you use prescription medication, bring it with you. However, you might be required to keep it with personnel at the facility during your stay. Bring the medication in its original container.
- Hobby interests. Knitting materials, with appropriate content, and journals are some of the things to keep you occupied during downtime.
What you do not need:
- Drugs and alcohol. The reason you are going to the facility is to recover from drugs and alcohol. Do not bring drugs or alcohol.
- Cosmetics. Some cosmetics contain alcohol. Leave cosmetic products at home.
- Electronics or games. Electronics are not allowed. Sometimes this includes cell phones. Usually, electronics not permitted include TV, iPods, tablets, laptops, etc. Some facilities do allow MP3 players, but you should verify if they do allow it. Games should also be left at home.
This is a basic list of things you need to pack and items to leave home. Verify the things you should pack and not pack with the facility.
We know how important the right treatment is for you. That is why at The Springboard Center, we are providing the best possible treatment programs for recovery from addiction and alcoholism. Serving the Permian Basin, our treatment center offers the comforts of home while providing quality clinical care. Call us today for more information: (432) 620-0255